Ever since Oprah Winfrey’s passionate speech at the Golden Globes award ceremony, the liberals in the mainstream media have all but installed her as the Democratic nominee in 2020. Well, the adults in the room have been waiting on a Rasmussen poll to see what her actual chances look like…
The wait is over and everyone is straight-up stunned!
Check it out per Rasmussen:
TV personality Oprah Winfrey is the likely winner over President Trump if the 2020 election were held today, but there are a lot of undecideds.
The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 48% of Likely U.S. Voters would opt for Winfrey, while 38% would choose Trump. But a sizable 14% are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
Winfrey has the support of 76% of Democrats, 22% of Republicans and 44% of voters not affiliated with either major political party. The president earns 66% of the vote from Republicans, 12% of Democrats and 38% of unaffiliateds.
Twelve percent (12%) of both Republicans and Democrats are undecided given this matchup. One-in-five unaffiliated voters (19%) aren’t sure which candidate they would support.
Fifty-five percent (55%) of all voters view Winfrey favorably, including 27% with a Very Favorable view of the longtime media personality and entrepreneur. That’s little changed from 2011 after Winfrey announced she was ending her TV talk show after 25 years on the air. Thirty-four percent (34%) share an unfavorable view of her, with 18% who have a Very Unfavorable one.
Democrats are of course chomping at the bit for a challenger with enough firepower to match up against Trump in 2020. They’ve predictably seized on Winfrey following her speech about sexual harassment at Sunday night’s Golden Globes ceremony. In November, long before the push for Oprah began, former Vice President Joe Biden seemed to be the first choice for Democrats in 2020. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont placed a distant second.
The question remains though: would Oprah actually run? She has to understand that wading into the chaotic world of politics would instantly alienate about 50% of her fan base. Part of Oprah’s charm lies in the fact that she seems above the fray and disinterested in the petty concerns of the political world. She’s seen as a sage and a modern day preacher of feel-good, self-help vibes…
Attempting to unseat the epic firebrand currently occupying the Oval Office would be tantamount to career suicide. But, then again, you never know what people are going to do… Trump’s campaign and subsequent election proves that very fact.